Self Exclusion Gambling – A Break from Online Casinos
With the increase in smartphone use, better internet connectivity, and easier access to online casinos, online gambling has become very popular in the last decade. While this is great news for all who know how to have a good time gambling, it also increases the number of people experiencing gambling problems.
Fortunately, online casino platforms with proper regulation offer their customers different tools that can help them in preventing gambling addiction or allow them to put a limit to their compulsive behavior.
Self-exclusion tools are very efficient in controlling gambling urges. We will break down everything you need to know about these tools, including how to place yourself on the self-exclusion list.
What Is Self-Exclusion in Online Casinos?
The self-exclusion, also known as self-banning, is a feature that allows players to limit access to the casinos and helps to avoid online gambling for a while. While brick and mortar casinos do not have that option, most online gambling sites have self-exclusion periods ranging from six months to five years, and the player determines the length of the limits he wants to place on himself.
Depending on the online casino, there are a couple of different ways you can use the self exclusion feature:
- You can self-exclude from a certain online casino
- You can self-exclude from a certain online casino product
- You can self-exclude from a range of casinos depending on the owner or the region
Let’s dive into each option and break down what you can expect from it to give you a better perspective.
From an Online Casino
Self banning from a specific online casino is the most common type of self-exclusion.
To request self-exclusion on an online casino platform, follow these steps:
- Open the online casino website
- Look for the section “Responsible Gambling”
- Select all of the casino products
- Select the time frame for your self-exclusion
After you confirm your request, the self-exclusion should take effect immediately. This means:
- You will not be able to make deposits to your casino account
- You will not be able to make wagers on casino games and other products
- You will not be able to log in to your online casino account
- The casino will not contact you with promotional offers during the self-exclusion period
If you have trouble locating the self-exclusion feature, ask the casino's customer support for help.
Furthermore, if your casino does not offer the self-exclusion option, check if they are licensed and contact the regulator. Every licensed operator should give their customers this choice.
From an Online Casino Product
Self-exclusion from a specific online casino product is mostly used by players who only have gambling problems using a specific feature.
The three main products available for self-exclusion in most online casinos are sports betting, casino, and poker.
To request self-exclusion from a specific online casino product, follow these steps:
- Visit your online casino
- Open the “Responsible Gambling”
- Select the casino product that you want to self-exclude from
- Select how long you want the self-exclusion to last
After you self-exclude from a specific casino product, the action should take effect immediately, which means:
- You will still be able to make deposits to your casino account
- You will not be able to make wagers on specific products that you self-excluded from
- You will be able to log in to your casino account
- The casino will not contact you with promotional offers regarding the specific casino product you self-excluded from but can contact you with other promotions
This option might be very useful, so do not shy away from using the self-exclusion feature if you have any problems while playing online.
Self Exclusion from All Bookies and Casinos
Some companies that own multiple casino platforms will allow their customers to self exclude from all of their casinos with only one request.
To request self-exclusion on an online casino platform and all of its sister casinos, follow these steps:
- Open the online casino platform
- Visit the “Responsible Gambling”
- Select all of the casino products
- Select the “I want to exclude from all casinos owned by the company” option
- Select the time frame for your self-exclusion
After you choose to self exclude from all casinos operated by the same company, you will not be able to make deposits, place any wagers, or even log into your casino accounts.
This works exactly as limiting yourself from one particular casino, just affecting multiple brands operated by the same parent company.
Self Exclusion Gambling
The only way to self-exclude from all online gambling is to sign up for a self-exclusion list, which is usually offered in countries with legalized gambling. To join one, you must pass ID verification by providing proof of identity and a photo.
After you sign up for a self-exclusion list:
- You will be excluded for a minimum of six months from all licensed online casino operators
- You will be removed from all licensed casino marketing databases
- You will not be contacted by licensed casinos during the self-exclusion period
- You will not be able to end self-exclusion before the initial period expires
As a general guideline, anyone who joins the self-exclusion list is restricted from playing, winning, recovering losses, or getting complimentary services or gifts from licensed casinos.
The rules vary a bit from country to country, but it works pretty much the same for the most part, with different regulatory bodies overseeing the entire process. To put this information into perspective, let’s look at the two biggest online casino markets and see how they deal with this.
From Online Gambling in the UK
If you live in Great Britain and are looking to self-exclude from online gambling, you can choose to self-exclude from all licensed online casinos that operate in the country for 6 months, 1 year, or 5 years.
GAMSTOP allows UK residence to be in control of their online casino activities. Once you register for their self-exclusion list, you will be prevented from playing on all casino websites and applications licensed in Great Britain for your chosen period.
GameSense offers a product called Game Break, which allows UK residents to take a break from online gambling for either six months, one year, two years, or three years. After you apply to Game Break, the self-exclusion begins immediately and can’t be terminated earlier.
From Online Gambling in the US
Self-exclusion from online gambling in the US is mostly handled on the state-level gaming control boards. With this said, not all US states in which gambling is legal offer online self-exclusion tools.
Therefore, the best solution for US residents that want to self-exclude from online gambling is to go with PlayPause. This tool allows US residents to self-exclude from gambling in multiple states and ensures a safer gambling environment.
Gambling Self Exclusion - When Should You Do It?
People new to online gambling usually don’t know what to expect, which can lead to serious consequences.
To make it a bit simpler for you, we put together a list of recommendations for gambling self exclusion. If you are new to online casinos, you should consider self-excluding if you notice any of the following:
- You feel that you need a break from gambling, but you are not able to stop
- You are not having fun, but you still keep playing on autopilot
- Online gambling has a negative impact on your financial status
- You are under a lot of stress when you gamble
- Your only goal when gambling is to win back what you lost
- You need to gamble with large sums of money to experience the thrill
- You become restless if you are unable to gamble
- You think about gambling even when you are not playing online
- You lie about how much money you lost gambling
Even if you notice just one of the things we mentioned above, you should seriously consider self-excluding, as it is only a matter of time before other symptoms start showing.
Online gambling can be highly addictive, and it can cause many serious issues in your life and for your closest friends and family. Because of this, if you feel you can’t handle it anymore, the best thing you can do is self-exclude.
Always take casinos for what they are, which is just another form of entertainment. Never gamble with money you can’t afford to lose, and never expect to win while playing. If you occasionally play to have fun, you will be good even if you lose a few bucks.