Michigan Gaming Control Board Approves 15 Online Gaming Platform Providers' Licenses
Fifteen platform providers have received provisional licenses from the Michigan Gaming Control Board (MGCB), allowing them to offer online gaming and sports betting via commercial and tribal casinos.
Richard S. Kalm, the MGCB executive director, explained that the body can now approve provisional licenses after the administrative rules for online gaming and sports betting were filed with the Office of the Great Seal. However, before the providers are able to launch their services, they must first meet other regulatory requirements, and the launch date will depend on how quickly those requirements are met.
There are many well-known providers amongst the fifteen. The full list is:
- American Wagering, Inc. d/b/a William Hill Sports Book
- Betfair Interactive US LLC d/b/a FanDuel Sportsbook
- BetMGM, LLC d/b/a Roar Digital
- Churchill Downs Interactive Gaming, LLC d/b/a TwinSpires
- Crown MI Gaming LLC d/b/a DraftKings
- GAN Nevada Inc.
- Golden Nugget Online Gaming, Inc.
- NYX Digital Gaming (USA), LLC
- Parx Interactive Inc.
- Penn Sports Interactive, LLC
- PointsBet Michigan LLC
- Rush Street Interactive MI, LLC
- Sports Information Services Limited d/b/a Kambi
- TSG Interactive US Services Limited d/b/a Fox Bet
- WSI US, LLC d/b/a Wynn Sports
Among the requirements that the providers must fulfil are Independent testing of platforms and games and approval from the MGCB of internal controls, which guarantee game integrity. Furthermore, some employees of the providers will also need occupational licenses.
Applications for the licenses began in mid-May, while at the same time, the MGCB has been clarifying licensing requirements, reviewing internal controls, and classifying submissions from potential operators, platform providers, suppliers and vendors.
Prior to launch, operators and platform providers are allowed to offer mobile applications through various app stores. This means that in preparation, Michigan residents can download the apps and sign up for the services, but they will not yet be able to place bets.