Las Vegas Casinos Set to Fully Open
Steve Sisolak, the Nevada Governor, has announced that the state’s casinos will be able to operate at full capacity from June 1.
As a state that relies heavily on tourism, Nevada has suffered a great deal under the coronavirus pandemic. For three months last year, the entire state was shut down, and even after reopening in mid-June, capacity limits were put in place and hotel casinos have been operating under heavy restrictions.
In a statement, the president and CEO of the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority Steve Hill said that vaccines have played a huge part in the reopening. He said that the events industry will be able to restart with “confidence” thanks to the wide availability and fast administration of vaccines. He added that the city will “continue providing the gold standard for health, wellness and safety precautions for the benefit of its workforce, the community and our visitors.”
Caesars Entertainment (NASDAQ: CZR) also released a statement welcoming the news:
We are grateful for Governor Sisolak’s continued, thoughtful leadership and are heartened by his goal to reopen Nevada at 100% capacity by June 1. We strongly encourage all Caesars Entertainment Team Members to get vaccinated and are continuing to provide free and convenient COVID-19 vaccines.
There has been mounting pressure on Sisolak to reopen the casinos, especially as case numbers fall and vaccine numbers rise. At present, the state is at 50% capacity; however, there has been very heavy traffic in some areas over recent weekends.
Sisolak added that the state will be handing control over social distancing to individual counties from May 1 as “each county in Nevada is unique and has different factors to consider: rural or urban settings, community transmission rates in the area, and vaccine administration, among a few.”
As vaccination rates pick up across the entire country, Nevada casinos will be hoping for an influx of domestic tourists to help their recovery after an extremely difficult period.