Gamblers Wager $103 Million in Massachusetts Casinos in December

December saw Massachusetts take in more taxes and fees from casino gambling than ever before. According to the Gaming Commission, the state received $28.76 million in revenue from gambling at Plainridge Park Casino, MGM Springfield, and Encore Boston Harbor.

Between the three venues, a total of $103 million in gross gaming revenue (GGR) was generated in December. Roughly $68.46 million came from Encore in Everett, $22.47 million from MGM Springfield, and $12.31 million from Plainville's Plainridge slots parlor. This saw the state receive $28,764,744.94, slightly higher than the previous record of $28,626,223.98 set in March 2022.

Both Encore and MGM pay a tax of 25% of GGR, and the money is split into various buckets such as local aid, the Transportation Infrastructure Fund, and an education fund. This means that Encore paid the state just over $17.11 million, while MGM Springfield paid $5.62 million.

Plainride Park is taxed at 49% of GGR, with 82% going to local aid and the remaining 18% going to the state's Race Horse Development Fund. It means that the casino paid just over $6 million in taxes and fees.

Massachusetts has enjoyed a steady increase in gambling revenue over recent years. Since Plainridge opened its doors in 2015, the state has received just under $1.29 from casino-style gambling, and since Encore opened in June 2019, it has averaged around $23.25 million per month.

This figure will go up starting at the end of this month as the state begins to see revenue from legal sports betting. It has been estimated that the annual revenue from sports betting will be anything from $35 million to $60 million.

More Finance News


Leave a Comment

user avatar
My Name United States of America
Your Comment

User Comments

Comments for Gamblers Wager $103 Million in Massachusetts Casinos in December