Did you test your gambling habits yet?

Join

THE GAMALYZE CHALLENGE

Top Brazilian Football Sides Challenge Proposed Gaming Bill

Listen to this news articleLISTEN TO THIS ARTICLE:

As the Brazilian Government outlines the detail of a proposed Bill for the future of the gaming sector in the country, some of the biggest football clubs in the country have submitted a request asking for a larger slice of the revenue generated by gambling.

Last year the President of Brazil indicated he would like to increase revenue from the gaming sector as part of a series of measures to raise revenue for the government without raising taxes. The government has outlined a Bill that will legalize casinos, bingo halls, and online gaming across Brazil’s 26 federal states.

Currently, the football clubs are being represented by the Football Confederation of Brazil (CBF), which has come up with a funding plan.

The big clubs, including Botafogo, Corinthians, Flamengo, Fluminense, Palmeiras, Santos, São Paulo, and Vasco da Gama, are unhappy on two fronts, firstly they wish to renegotiate their percentage of up to 5.01 percent of the total revenues, which currently stands at 1.63 percent.

Also, the CBF has stated it would like to keep 20 percent of any monies it collects on behalf of the clubs and distribute the remaining 80 percent equally among the football clubs. The CBF has been lobbying the government for a 4 percent share of the total revenue.

The football clubs have indicated they do not wish to be represented by the CBF and would rather be paid a share of their proposed 5.01 percent directly, therefore removing the CBF.

To strengthen their bargaining position, the football clubs have indicated that they will withhold image rights from the gaming bill arrangements and believe this strategy could achieve their aims.

Brazilian Soccer Proposed Gaming Bill

More Business News

RELATED TOPICS: Business

Leave a Comment

user avatar
My Name United States of America
Rating:
0.0
Your Comment

User Comments

Comments for Top Brazilian Football Sides Challenge Proposed Gaming Bill