Dog Dies from Heat Exhaustion in Casino Player's Vehicle
The Lincoln Police Department in Rhode Island, USA, has arrested a man for leaving his dog in the car while he allegedly visited a casino, thereby leading to the dog's death.
According to local law enforcement, officers from the Lincoln Police Department (LPD) were promptly notified by security at Bally's Twin River Lincoln Casino after getting reports about a vehicle found with heavy condensation on its windows and activated brake lights.
After gaining access to the vehicle, law enforcement officers discovered the deceased dog on the driver's side floor at about 7. p.m. on Saturday.
The car's owner Young Ju Seol of Hopkinson, Massachusetts, had left the dog unattended without air conditioning or water while he was playing at the brick-and-mortar casino for several hours.
He has subsequently been charged with one count of malicious injury or killing of animals and one count of animal confinement in motor vehicles.
In Rhode Island, individuals convicted of confining animals in motor vehicles can be subject to a maximum prison sentence of one year, a fine not exceeding $1,000, or both.
Under the state's legislation, anyone found guilty of maliciously injuring or causing the death of animals may face imprisonment for up to two years, a fine of up to $1,000, or both.
The American Kennel Club (AKC) strongly advises against leaving dogs in hot cars due to the rapid increase in temperatures, which can reach dangerous levels within minutes. According to the AKC, these conditions can put dogs at high risk of heat stroke.