GAMSTOP Sees 12% Surge in Registrations during H1 2023

Listen to this news articleLISTEN TO THIS ARTICLE:

Gambling self-exclusion service GAMSTOP has published its H1 2023 report showing a 12% year-on-year increase in new sign-ups.

Over six months leading to June 30, the service recorded more than 48,000 new members who chose to effectively exclude themselves from all licensed live casinos and gambling sites.

From the figure, 50% opted for the maximum self-exclusion period of five years. Additionally, 71% of the new sign-ups were male, while the remaining 29% were female.

21% of the newly registered users fell within the age range of 16 to 24, and the total number of new sign-ups in this age group saw a significant increase of 30%.

According to the organization, May was the most active month for new members in its history, surpassing the previous record set in March of this year, which had 8,504 new registrations.

Today's data shows the continuing importance of GAMSTOP in helping consumers to protect themselves from gambling harm. At our parliamentary reception in June to mark GAMSTOP's fifth anniversary, we heard the moving stories of some of those who have benefitted from the scheme. This data puts those stories and lived experiences into a wider context and shows that self-exclusion is an increasingly important tool for anyone trying to take a break from gambling.


Gamstop Userbase Closes in on 400,000

Since its establishment five years ago, GAMSTOP has seen over 390,000 registrations. Last year alone, the organization reported a record total of 82,000 new members. At that time, Palmer expressed that the economic climate and the cost of living crisis probably influenced people's lifestyle decisions.

In September of the same year, GAMSTOP launched the UK's first-ever self-exclusion awareness campaign in collaboration with a number of professional sports associations and clubs. The program was aimed at raising awareness for its services before the World Cup kicked off in November.

Using the hashtag #TakeBackControl2022, the organization was able to reach 2.6 million individuals on social media.

In April 2023, a report confirmed GAMSTOP as an adequate tool for curbing the gambling activities of players on wagering websites.

More Responsible Gambling News

RELATED TOPICS: Responsible Gambling

Leave a Comment

user avatar
My Name United States of America
Your Comment

User Comments

Comments for GAMSTOP Sees 12% Surge in Registrations during H1 2023